We have a winner! Congratulations to Jill – our very first entry in the giveaway! She said that Lee Strobel’s works of apologetic Christian non-fiction were some of the first books she read after becoming a Christian! I hope this work of fiction is a blessing to you Jill! I’ve just sent you an email – please get in touch within 72 hours so I can have this sent out for you!
Everyone (well, almost) is familiar with Lee Strobel’s best-selling non-fiction works of Christian apologetics, but his latest release is something quite different – and exciting. The Ambition is Strobel’s first major work of fiction, and though it is written in a genre that I don’t normally read, I was very interested in reading the results of his latest writing efforts. I wasn’t disappointed.
When Tom O’Sullivan, a struggling lawyer with a gambling problem, accepts the task of slipping a bribe to a judge, he didn’t know the trouble he was in for. When this same judge turns out to be a forerunner as a replacement for a corrupt senator, things are looking bad. Eric Snow, the pastor of a suburban mega church throws his hat into the ring as a contender, attempting to downplay his spiritual affiliations and essentially denying God’s hand at work. Thrown into the mix are also a strident investigative journalist, struggling through difficult financial times for his paper and trying to dredge up a story to save his job.
Written with all the earmarks of a legal/political thriller, Strobel deftly mixes the strands of political ambition, organized crime, legal corruption, and faith into a fast-moving blend that keeps the pages flipping. There are quite a few characters (mostly male) to keep up with, the storylines are thoroughly interwoven, and this testosterone-driven tale is punchy and intense. Drawing upon his own experiences as a journalist and pastor, The Ambition comes across as very realistic – this is the turf Strobel learned to write on after all.
Better than solidly written, Strobel shows real potential as a fiction author, and based on the cover style (it reminds me of the Left Behind series packaging) it seems that Zondervan agrees. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see future installments in this same vein from Strobel. More than a passing curiosity (hey, let’s see what Lee Strobel has gotten himself into now), this debut novel is both enjoyable, realistic, and points the way to very real political/faith collisions while asking meaningful questions about priorities.
CLICK HERE TO BUY NOW AT AMAZON.COM OR CHRISTIANBOOK.COM!
I have one copy of The Ambition to giveaway to one blessed winner in the US or Canada! To enter just let me know why you’d like to win!
For additional entries:
1. Subscribe to this blog for updates – see the left hand sidebar. Leave an additional comment letting me know you’ve subscribed (or if you already subscribe).
2. Sign up as a friend of this blog using the Google Friend application in the right hand sidebar (under Blog Info – around half-way down).
3. Write a post on your blog promoting and linking to this contest. Leave an additional comment with a link to your post.
4. Add the Quiverfull Family button (see the code box in the right hand sidebar under BUTTON UP!) to your blog’s sidebar, or let me know if you already have the button displayed. Leave an additional comment with a link to your post.
5. Digg, Stumble, Tweet, Facebook or otherwise share this post on a social networking site. Leave an additional comment indicating how you shared this post.
6. Follow me on Twitter or let me know if you are an existing follower.
Each additional step taken counts for 1 additional entry. A total of 7 entries are available if you complete all of these steps. Please leave a separate comment for each entry!
The contest will close at 12 a.m. MST on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011. One (1) winner will be randomly drawn for this novel on Thursday, June 23rd, 2011 and notified by email. Please fill your email address in the comment form when you are completing your comment so that I can contact you. The winners must respond with a mailing address within 72 hours of my email, or a new winner will be chosen. This contest is open to those living in the US and Canada!